Faith in Action offers a wide selection of Educational Classes, Workshops and Conferences throughout the course of the year.
Education is one of our core competencies (main activities). We understand education is a valuable to the whole community and an important piece in fostering understanding and growth.
Our classes, workshops and conferences are fun, as well as relevant, educational and well-planned; with specific goals and outcomes so
those attending will receive the greatest benefit from attending.
- Each quarter we offer a 3 hour Caregiver Class in Elk River.
- In the spring a 6 week workshop is offered for those living with chronic conditions. (Read below for more info)
- In the fall we host a Women’s Day Conference focused on finding hope in spite of hardships.
- Every November we offer a Caregiver’s Day Out at the Monticello Community Center for family caregivers.
- Each month we offer a variety of Support Groups.
- Twice a year we offer a 6 week workshop for family members taking care of a loved one called Powerful Tools for Caregivers. (See below for more info)
- We also offer couponing classes and other topics that are helpful to general community.
- Quarterly trainings for our volunteers.
- And coming in 2012, a Bible Study lead by Pastor Becky, our Volunteer Coordinator.
This workshop is given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks. We partner with other agencies to host it and offer it various communities and settings, such as senior centers, churches, libraries or hospitals. People with different chronic health problems attend together. The workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one is a Faith in Action staff member and RN, the other is a non-health professional with a chronic disease themselves.
Subjects covered include: 1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation, 2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance, 3) appropriate use of medications, 4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals, 5) nutrition, and, 6) how to evaluate new treatments.
Past participants have found it very helpful and highly recommend those living with a chronic condition attend!!
Powerful Tools for Caregivers
This workshop is for all those caring for a loved-one. In attending you will develop a wealth of Caregiving Tools to strengthen your caregiving journey.
The 6-week scripted curriculum has been shown to improve:
- Self-Care Behaviors: (e.g. increased exercise, relaxation and medical check-ups)
- Management of Emotions: (reduced guilt, anger, and depression)
- Self-Efficacy: (increased confidence in coping with caregiving demands)
- Use of Community Resources: (increased utilization of local services)
Past workshop participants’ highly recommend it for other family caregivers. Comments from their evaluations:
“After taking this class I am a more confident caregiver! Having tools to resolve problems is a definite advantage in becoming a better caregiver and a happier, wiser, and healthier me… and a healthier us!”
“I cannot recommend highly enough the ‘Powerful Tools for Caregivers’ training program…”
“There was a common bond. We were all dealing with some of the same issues. We shared our stories and learned ways to cope. I learned that it was important to take care of me.”